Wednesday 12 May 2010

What does Salcombe mean to you?

I was sitting in the sun a few days ago thinking about times past in Salcombe and how many people, like us, think Salcombe is the best place in the world. I ended up trying to put together my "Top 5" list of things that Salcombe will always mean to me:

Here goes...

1. Rocking nights, courtesy of "Bob" at the Ferry, during the early 90's, when everyone knew everyone and you'd never here a cross word as copious pints of snakebite and black were seen off; Don Mclean belted out "American Pie" from the juke box and the night ended with pizza and pasties when the bakery opened as the pubs shut.
2. Sailing Optimists on Tuesday nights at cadets, and being stupidly excited when the wind blew hard. Followed by coke and crisps at the Yacht Club whilst your parents sank a few beers.
3. Still having as my best mates the friends I made at Salcombe Primary School and all still meeting up every summer in Salcombe, even though many no longer live in Salcombe.
4. Playing volley ball all summer during the holidays on Smalls Cove, there was never a day when the volley ball net wasn't up! There seemed to be a lot more sun back then!
5. The unbeatable beauty & tranquility of sitting on Small's on a summers evening with the tide full in and the beach gradually emptying as the wind dies and the estuary becomes a mill pond.

Roll on summer!!!!

What does Salcombe mean to you...

14 comments:

Salcombe Man said...

For me it's the Yawl starts in regatta week when the wind is blowing and Merlin Rocket week.

salcombebloke said...

How about sitting on the terrace of the now demolshed Bolt Head Hotel, pint in hand, with the most fantastic view down the Estuary.The other advantage was that it was always blissfully grockle free, even in August.Good times.

00kevin said...

A pint in the old Burners Victoria when it was a real pub

Anonymous said...

That would be Bass on the slate behind the bar served by Andrew Burner (too young for Eddie) ...

John said...

What a lovely thread. As a second-home owner, you can see why townies, like me, are so attracted to Salcombe for ourselves and families. Seeing my children playing on one of the swings hanging from a tree high up on Ditch End is enduring. And the Cliif road walk on an early Spring morning .......just lovely

Liz said...

Having Salcombe as my home means being able to look up the Estuary every single day to the sea, watching the boats bob on the waves, feeling a tremor go through me as the life boat passes my kitchen window going out on a 'shout' and praying that all the crew come home safe.

Salcombe as my home means being part of a wondeerful community - a feeling I've never had before in any place I've lived. Walking down the street and having people say hello to you - rather than avert their gaze. I love the feeling of security, freedom from worries about big city life, noise, pollution and dirt.

I love the fact my dog's and I can walk the streets late at night and not be scared.

Salcombe as my home means that I am having the best part of my entire life!

Anonymous said...

Damming the stream as a kid in the early 70's on Mill Bay along with diving off the concrete WWII slips on an early morning high tide.

Watching the Merlins and Yawls running back down the harbour close to shore.

Catching Mackeral out in Starhole and crabbing off Whitestrand (when allowed) with my little brother.

Drinking Cider and eating pasties at the Ferry as a family.

Walking around to Gara with my Dad for a cream tea.

The place brings a tear to my eye.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you what I dont like about Salcombe since I arrived last night and thats the anal retentive boat park supervisor. Who gave him responsibility since last season. What a **** can we have the old one back?

Anonymous said...

Midnight swims, the torchlight procession when it had proper torchlights and the epic crabbers' race waterfights! Plus when the bakery opened late and served pizza. How cool was that?

Wayne Kerr said...

It was the summer of '76. Millbay, endless sunshine, sailing a laser without the need for a wetsuit. Little changes at Salcombe, (well maybe the weather!)..... still the best place in the whole UK

Anonymous said...

Salcombe means, my former home in the 80's and for my husband, his grandparents home in the 50's so along history of connections in our family. I love the garlic wood, Collaton wood walks, everything about Salcombe. Remembering my kids busily rock pooling on North Sands beach, Sam falling in the water on the quay crab fishing, Ben being one of the prince's during Regatta week.

Anonymous said...

What's happened to blog????

Mick Sturbs said...

I remember when we had a good regular blog on Salcombe. More please 00devon.

Liz said...

Where are you............. missing your musings!!

Come back!!!!!

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com