Tuesday 1 April 2008

Salcombe Restaurant Review...

This Easter I managed to visit 2 of Salcombe’s restaurants; The Galley and Dusters.

The Galley:
I have to say I was surprised on many accounts! The interior is pretty basic but pleasant, unless that is you can get a window seat as I did. This transforms the entire experience. Even though it was dark the moon was shining over from East Portlemouth church across the water, lighting up whitestrand pontoon and the few moored boats that are on the water in March, and seemed to end when it reached my table! It was perfect!

The food whilst not being outstanding was pretty good. I had crab linguine followed by monk fish. The crab was landed at Salcombe and the fish at Plymouth so all very local. The linguine was average and could have done with a bit more taste but the monk fish was very good and worth every penny of the quite reasonable £17:95.

All in all 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 desert and a few glasses of wine was £63, a perfectly acceptable price for the food and view. Although I have to say had I been sat in the corridor part of the restaurant I would not have been impressed! Definitely worth a visit but check when you book that you are not going to be sat in the corridor.

Dusters:
Overall I was very disappointed with Dusters. Back in the heyday of “Dusters Bistro”, when it was owned and run by Mike Hicks, it was unthinkable that you didn’t go at least once on a Sunday night during the summer! The jazz was great, the lights low, the food simple but perfect bistro food, the whole placed buzzed with a relaxed but energetic atmosphere, the bottles of Sol flowed and the napkins were actual Dusters hence the name "Dusters" Bistro….

So back to the present…first of all let me just say the jazz was superb! Harry seems to get better with age! However it was more mainstream jazz and not the ragtime that Harry used to belt out at Dusters. I much prefer the new music but not at Dusters, it needs that energy and punch and not to blend quietly into the background as the new stuff does. Harry used to perform by the door and the music would carry out into fore street, now he is pushed to the back of the restaurant like he is just another part of the place and not the main attraction.

The atmosphere was awful, the lights were too bright and the tableware too silver service, which the actual service was far from! We waited an age for our starters, at least an hour and then we waited so long for our deserts that they had switched the coffee machine off! I was stunned……it was also more expensive than the Galley by at least 20%. The steak was £22……what’s the mark-up on that!

The food was good but not memorable; I had Spinach Risotto and Sea Bass for my main but I can’t actually remember what my starter was or my dessert for that matter. Although I do seem to remember that the ice cream on the menu said "Dusters home made ice cream" but the waitress seemed to think it was actually Salcombe Dairy! The risotto was above average and I have to say cooked perfectly and the sea bass was as sea bass always is, brilliantly tasty.

The wine list was a total joke, one bottle of wine form 5 different countries and the wines were at best average.

So all in all it was pretty disappointing to say the least and I wont be rushing back. Dusters needs to decide if it’s a posh restaurant or a bistro type restaurant, at present it is stuck in middle somewhere. This is a real shame as it has the prime location for a restaurant. If only someone had a video of Dusters how it used to be they could learn a thing or 2.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Galley continues to provide one of the best dining experiences in Salcombe, good food, good ambience, good staff, reasonable prices.If Sam is in attendence he always exudes charm. Our experince of Dusters is like yours. Catch in Fore St is probably the best fish restaurant now, much better than the Salcombe Oyster Shack. Love the blog,- how about some comment on the Marine Hotel redevelopment?Dick Tator

Lady Mondegreen said...

Your blog brought back such fond memories for me. I lived in Salcombe during the summer of '79, working at The St Elmo Hotel at North Sands. I was a weekly diner at Dusters when "Dr Jazz" was the main attraction, and Crab Newburg was the star of the menu (for me at least!).

At Dusters, I met up with Eunice Yabsley and the notorious John Allen, who invited my friend and me back to the Galley for coffee. We spent a great night chatting and telling ghost stories. It wasn't until we were walking home in the dark to our cottage in Island Street that we realized that John was the 'alleged murderer' we had heard about in village gossip.

I liked John and dismissed the gossip. Often he'd see me in town and drive me back to the St Elmo in his little sports car. I felt very 'cool'.

I had my 21st birthday at The Galley.

It wasn't until recently that I decided to see if Eunice and John were still at the Galley that I found that John had been convicted of the murders he'd been rumoured to have committed. That sent a chill through me, I can tell you!

I returned home to Australia at the end of 1979. I miss Salcombe so much and have such wonderful memories of nights at Dusters Bistro. In fact, I found your blog googling for a recipe for Crab Newburg and hoping that Dusters might have put up a recipe for theirs somewhere on the net.

Thanks for the memories!

Rosie Mann said...

I have just got home after an appalling evening at Dusters restaurant in Salcombe. I am a second home owner in Salcombe, and have been for seven years. I have been visiting for seven years prior to owning my own property here. In the first few years of visiting I remember eating here a couple of times: the food was average, and not memorable, but nothing particularly bad enough to mention. We then had one very average experience, and decided not to visit again in around 2005/6. However, we made a choice to give them another chance this evening. First weekend of Feb half term, night before Valentine's and restaurant mostly empty, and for good reason it may seem. The service was unattentive, and rude to say the least. Starters were as we remembered: nice, but not memorable. My mother ordered the sea bass, and cut it open to see that it was mostly raw. She pointed this out, and asked to send it back. No apologies. The food took a half an hour to be returned, and when it was, again there were no apologies: almost as though it were my mother's fault for complaining. The sea bass was, again, undercooked and tasted anything but fresh. It had been cooked in off butter, served with a dry and uninspiring risotto- made with basmati rice, not arborio rice, and mostly raw onion. One's breath reeked after one bite. The salad served with it was wet, limp and undressed. It was mostly made up of old, dry parsley- not even suitable to be used as a garnish. However, we made no complaint, having been made to feel so guilty before. When the bill arrived (not cheap) my father felt it necessary to comment. Of which he did, very politely- a suggestion rather than a complaint. We were met by a curt and unfriendly reply, again lacking in an apology. The owners are clearly so arrogant they feel no focus on customer service is necessary. Needless to say, we will not be returning, and I would advise to AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Anonymous said...

I so agree. Galley lovely food & the best service. Dusters never got to taste the food as the service was so long > than 1 hour and no food!!! Would never go back! Bring back Mike Hicks it was great when he ran it.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Tnx.

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com